If you have landed on this page to know which are the best tuners for a Camaro SS, then you already know what a tuner is.
Not many people do or even know what benefits they offer.
But for the sake of those who don’t know what a tuner is, it is a device that is plugged into your car’s diagnostic port to improve the performance of your vehicle by boosting its horsepower.
It is commonly used to tune the car engine by enhancing or modifying the way an engine works. The reason behind this is to improve engine performance.
You may be wondering, why would I want to enhance the performance of my engine if it already works fine.
Also, you can tune other parts of your car as well. You can tune your car’s suspension, body, and even radio. It all depends on what enhancements you want to make.
The biggest issue for many people when it comes to tuners is the cost. Not many people want to spend their money, even if it’s a couple of bucks to buy a tuner. But think of it as a long term investment.
So if you decide to buy a tuner for a Camaro SS, and if you have never bought one, we have reviewed some three products that are the best. We do advise that you do more research before you buy one.
Tuners for Camaro SS Comparison Chart
2.8" Color Screen
Full Color LCD
Back-lit LCD Screen
|Reads & Clears Codes|
3 Best Tuners for Camaro SS (as of May, 2020):
This Superchips 2845 Flashpaq F5 tuner is a handheld device that doesn’t require any extra tools to help you increase your horsepower.
It is easy to use, you just need to plug into your vehicle’s on-board diagnostic port to program whatever you want.
But make sure that your vehicle is off before you plug it in.
The tuner does not come with batteries. It relies on the voltage that comes from the diagnostic port. And this is a big advantage as you don’t need to spend extra money on batteries.
The device comes with performance settings to enable you to choose the settings you want based on what you want to tune. It could be your gear ratio, tire size, speed limiter, fan temperature or shift pressure. So it’s quite versatile.
It also has the stock option which you can return to when you want to get rid of your tuner or sell your car.
This unit comes with additional features as well. And these features include data logging, diagnostics, and identity vehicle. And they basically give more information about your car and the tuning process.
There is an instruction manual and a USB cable when you buy the device. So if you ever need to update the device’s software, just plug the USB into your PC or laptop, go to Superchips official website and download the update.
- High-Definition 2.8″ Color Screen
- Redesigned Graphic Interface for Improved User experience
- Increased Memory with Faster Processor
- Performance tuning for Economy, Towing, Daily Driving, & Extreme Tuning
- Eliminate Downshifting When Climbing Hills
- Speedometer Correction for Changes in Tire Size & Gear Ratio
- Adjust Speed & Rev Limiters
- Tuning For Shift Points, Shift Firmness, & TQ Management
- Internet Updateable With all-new Update Software Via USB
- Active Fuel Management Control
- Vehicle Parameter Monitoring Capabilities
- Read & Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes
- Compatible with other Performance Upgrades
- 2-year Powertrain Warranty
- Easy to use
- Easy to update
- Ideal for gas and diesel cars
- Comes with additional features to help you with the tuning process
- Doesn’t need batteries to work
- 4 tuning options
- Comes with a USB cable and instruction manual
- Fairly affordable
- The Superchips software is not installed on the device
2. SCT 40490 BDX Tuner For Camaro SS Review
The SCT 40490 BDX tuner can be used to tune a variety of car models including a Camaro SS.
It is a compact and lightweight device that is easy to use.
It’s small in size, so you can store it in any of the storage compartments in your car.
It is quite a good looking device. It has a color display and it does what it is designed for, which is tuning your engine to boost horsepower and towing ability.
And you can do this by plugging the tuner into your car’s diagnostic port using an on-board diagnostic cord.
The device comes with an HDMI and a USB cable for the connection.
When programming your vehicle, you have the option of choosing preloaded tunes or custom tunes.
Some users have complained that the main menu is a bit hard to navigate, if you find that to be the case, you can use the instruction manual that comes with the device.
- Maximum Tune Flexibility
- Pre-Loaded With Dyno Proven Performance Tune Files
- Holds Up to 20 Custom Tuning Files
- Available Pre-Loaded Tunes or Custom Tunes & Settings
- Read & Record Real Time Stats
- Reads & Clears PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes
- Dynamic Color Display
- Adjustable Interface
- Download Updates & Tunes From Over Wi-Fi
- Compact and lightweight
- Can fit a variety of car models
- 20 custom tunes
- Cloud sync feature to download tunes
- Data overload to get real-time data as you program your car
- Color display
- The menu is hard to navigate
- It is pricey
The Jet Performance 15008 tuner is extremely easy to use.
You just plug it into your car’s diagnostic port and on the tuner’s display screen it will prompt you to take the next step.
The tuner offers two ways to program your car.
You can choose the Jet EZ program or the custom program.
The first option allows you to program your car’s computer to match your driving preference or style. And using Jet’s Tri-power tuning, you can tune your engine to boost power.
There are three 3 tuners, all of which are used to tune the engine to get it to perform more optimally and improve gas mileage.
The custom program does not increase your horsepower. What it does is tune the transmission shifting points in your RPMs. And this is to help you achieve the gear shifting and drivability that suits the way you drive or prefer to drive.
It also corrects your speedometer and provides you with diagnostic faults codes when your check engine light comes on using an inbuilt scanner tool.
- 3 Different Performance Tunes
- Jet EZ Program & Custom Program
- Modify Rev Limit & Speed Limit
- Correct Speedometer For Tire or Gear Changes
- Change Shift Points & Firmness
- Increase Horsepower & Torque
- Tuning For Regular, Mid-Grade & Premium Octane Fuels
- Built In Trouble Code Scanner
- Back-lit LCD Screen & USB Upgradeable
- 2-Year Warranty
- Jet EZ program to help boost engine power with ease
- 3 tune options
- Corrects speedometer
- Inbuilt fault code scanner
- Modifies fuel ratios, speed limit, and shift points
- Easy to install and use
- Improves fuel efficiency
- It does not have a feature to help you change torque management
As we mentioned before at the beginning of the article, a car tuner can help boost your engine power and improve your fuel economy.
There are really no downsides to getting one. And if you can afford to buy a quality car tuner, even though it’s expensive, go for it. Your drive quality is going to improve tremendously.
When it comes to buying a car tuner, there are many varying models out there of which fit different car models. So before you spend money on a tuner, you need to check that it fits your car. But aside from that, there are other factors worth considering.
So let’s take a look at some of them.
Some tuners come with basic features, others come with advanced features.
If you are looking for a tuner that can basically boost your horsepower and help you save on fuel, the Jet 15008 tuner would be an ideal choice. It has only three tuners all of which are meant for increasing engine power.
They have advanced features. They allow you to customize your tunes. And they have more tune options than the Jet tuner. But they are also more expensive.
So it all depends on what you want to tune and how much you are willing to spend on a quality tuner.
There is no universal package when it comes to car tuners. Different tuners are designed to fit different car models. Others are designed to fit one specific model.
So do your due diligence. Ask your car deal which tuners are suitable for your Camaro SS. And if you are buying the tuner online, check to see what models the site has listed as suitable.
Ease of use
Most tuners are easy to install and use. The problem comes in when navigating the tuner’s menu to see the settings and features.
And some are user-friendly, others are not. It is worthwhile to check what other users are saying about a tuner when it comes to ease of use.
SCT BDX Cloud Tuning:
Buy a tuner not because it’s cheap but because it is supreme. This is not to say that you should go out and buy the most expensive tuner out there. Determine your decision based on why you want a tuner.
Car tuning Tips
- For goodness sake do not go cheap. If you want to modify your engine and other parts of your car to reduce fuel consumption and improve car performance, don’t compromise on quality. Avoid cheap tuners and unprofessional methods. But also, don’t go over your budget if you have one. Check to see how much it will cost you to tune your car. Then see what you can and cannot do based on what you can afford.
- Car tuning can involve tuning your engine alone. Or your engine and other parts of your car. So it is imperative that you know exactly what it is that you want to tune before you start the programming process. Because some of the modifications you make may be irreversible. So if you are to make some big changes, ensure that you are ready for the end result.
- Know why you are tuning your car in the first place. Are you a street racer, a track racer or just a casual driver? If you are a daily driver, you can make modifications but ensure that they don’t affect the way your car operates.
- If you want to increase your horsepower, don’t simply assume that fitting an exhaust is the only solution. There are many other solutions that can like suspension tuning and brakes tuning just to name a few that can greatly improve the performance of your car. So do some research first before your start tuning your car to get the best solutions.
- Always ensure that before you start programming your car that everything is working well. Check to see that there are no vacuum leaks in the engine because they tend to damage an engine. And that goes for any other part you want to modify. If there are any problems even if the parts with the problems are not in your tuning list, get them fixed first.
- Tuning is not a hard process, but it also requires that you have some knowledge on how it works. So talk to an expert or do some research before you program your car.
You want to boost your engine horsepower and save on fuel, get a tuner. It’s a small device that can do wonders when it comes to improving the quality of your ride.
Don’t worry too much about the cost as you can get some affordable tuners like the Jet Performance tuner.
If you are looking for a tuner that has more to offer than engine tuning, the SCT DBX tuner would be a great choice. It may be a little expensive compared to other similar models but it is worth the investment.
- Tuners for Camaro SS Comparison Chart
- 3 Best Tuners for Camaro SS (as of May, 2020):
- Buyer’s Guide