Have you been searching for the best shocks for towing a Toyota Tacoma?
If so, then you know that looking for items online can give you option overload.
With so many different brands and models all claiming to be the best option for you, it can be tough to weed out the bad from the good.
Well, if you’ve been having a hard time, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we have compiled a list of the best shock options for you that will work great for towing a Toyota Tacoma.
These options are some of the best on the market and come with many features that set them apart from the rest. So, if you are looking for shocks for towing your Toyota Tacoma, then look no further.
Although all of the options we put on this list are great for different reasons, there is one option that sets itself apart from the rest. That is why our top pick is the Bilstein B8 5100 Series 2 Front Shocks Kit.
This kit comes with a pair of front shocks that will help improve performance and handling while towing, and the monotube design provides fade-free performance.
- Direct fit solution for lifted trucks and trailers
- Monotube design for a better fade-free performance
- A velocity-sensitive, digressive piston that reacts to changing road conditions
- Improves ride and handling while towing
- Offers a more comfortable driving experience while towing
With all this product’s great features, it is easy to see why we choose this option as our top pick over the others. With its direct fit for trucks and trailers, and its ability to improve handling and performance, this option can do just about anything. The only thing that this product can’t do, is purchase and install itself for you.
Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma Comparison Chart
17.13 / 14.050 inches
22.060 / 22.430 inches
4 x 8 x 28 inches
12 x 15 x 35 inches
15 x 12 x 6 inches
3 Best Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma (as of October, 2020):
1. Bilstein B8 5100 24-239370 Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma – Best Overall Top Pick Review
Bilstein B8 5100 24-239370 front shocks are made for the Toyota Tacoma, and they are our top pick for good reason.
With its many great features and innovative technology, these shocks will boost your Tacoma’s towing performance and give you better handling when towing a trailer, no matter what type of terrain you are on.
Direct Fit Solution
These Bilstein shock absorbers are specially designed as a direct fit solution for lifted trucks and SUVs so that you know you will be getting the right fit for your vehicle.
These front pair of shocks have a monotube design that helps to provide a fade-free performance under a multitude of road conditions.
This allows your vehicle to adjust to different terrain while driving and allows for a better driving experience on any road conditions.
These B8 5100 shock absorbers are specially tuned for each application and assure optimal performance in any given situation.
They offer an improvement in the quality of the ride while towing, better handling in rough terrain, and more comfort for the driver.
- 46 mm monotube design
- Zinc finish with multi-layer unique BILSTEIN coating for extreme protection
- Self-adjusting deflective disc valving with independent rebound and compression tuning
- 4 lower spring cup clip positions allow the front to be lifted for leveling up to 2 1/2″
- 14 mm centerless-ground, case-hardened, chromed, and super-polished rod
- Increases your suspension travel
- Utilizes vehicle’s stock coil springs and OEM upper mount
- Vehicle specifc tuning for ultimate performance and handling
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Direct fit solution makes shocks the perfect fit for lifted trucks and SUVs
- Monotube design helps to provide a fade-free performance in any road conditions
- Velocity-sensitive digressive pistons help the truck to react to changing road conditions while driving
- Specially tuned shocks for each application that assures the most optimal performance every time
- Offers better handling and more comfort for the driver when driving on rough terrain
- Durability is in question due to the low number of customer reviews
2. Rancho RS9000XL 999915/999319 Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma – Best Shock Kit Option Review
Rancho RS9000XL 999915/999319 shock kit comes with struts and shocks for your Toyota Tacoma.
This option gives you the handling and driving experience that you’re looking for, even when towing a trailer through rough road conditions.
Gas Charged Assembly
This Rancho unit has a gas charged complete modular assembly that includes the application-specific, installed coil spring with the kit. It also comes with the upper mounting plate so that the installation process is simplified as well.
9-Position Tuning Technology
Extra- Large Shock Body
These Rancho shocks come in an extra-large shock body that allows for cooler temperatures and more consistent performance even when under the most demanding road and weather conditions.
This makes it ideal for taking with you on trips where you will have to travel through rougher terrain with inclement weather conditions.
Liquid Metallic Finish
These shocks come with a stylish, sleek look because of their quality liquid metallic finish. This paint job gives them an expensive look without the high price tag and gives the shocks a little extra flair.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
This shock kit comes with the Rancho brand’s limited lifetime warranty that will cover the repairs or placements of defective parts or manufacturing mishaps that cause the product to fail. It may also cover some of the costs that collect from heavy wear and tear.
- Large, 2.75-in. (70mm) tri-tube body
- Large, heavy-duty 18 mm Nitro-Carb rod
- 9-position tuning technology
- Gas pressurization of shock
- Graphite-filled, Fluon banded piston
- 1-1/4-in. Diameter Sintered Iron piston
- Low-Friction, self-lubricating seal
- Liquid metallic finish
- Protective boot & Double-welded loops
- Limited Lifetime Warranty and 90-Day Free
- Gas-charged complete modular assembly and installed coil spring
- Mounting plate included for simple installation
- 9-position tuning technology for adjustability and improved performance
- Extra-large shock body for cooler temperatures and consistent performance
- Improved performance under harsh road and weather conditions
- Liquid metallic finish for a sleek look and added flair
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty for repairs or replacement
- The front lift may be higher than product description states
- May need to order rear lift kit to accommodate for the higher front lift
- Reliability is in question due to negative customer reviews
RS9000XL Adjustable Shock Absorber:
DIY quickLIFT LOADED Shock & Strut Install:
3. ARB Old Man Emu Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma – Best Rear Shock Option Review
ARB Old Man Emu rear shocks are great options for those who want products designed especially for their Toyota Tacoma.
These specific products are made for this truck and offer better performance, handling, and control for your vehicle while towing.
Specially Designed Fit
These ARB rear shocks are specially designed to be an exact fit for your Toyota Tacoma.
These great options allow you to get a product made perfectly for your vehicle so that you know you’re getting the best quality of product with the best fit possible.
Shock Boots Included
These ARB Old Man shocks come with shock boots included in the price of purchase so that you don’t have to add other purchases onto the price of getting shocks for your Toyota Tacoma.
Improves Speed Control
These rear shocks have been through rigorous quality testing that tests their ability to handle impact in the lab, or the outback.
With the extensive testing that these shocks go through, you can be sure that you are getting the highest quality, and most durable, product.
Comes With All Parts
These shocks come with all the necessary washers, nuts, and bushings needed for installation included in the purchase price. There are also factory shock mounting bolts that are used for proper installation included as well.
- Lifted Rear Shock
- Improves Handling and Comfort
- Ideal for Towing
- Designed For 2.0 Inch Lift
- Features Mono-Tube Design
- High-Quality Steel Construction
- Yellow Powder-Coat
- Vehicle-Specific Velocity Sensitive Valving
- Direct Fit Bolt-On
- Sold Individually
- Three-Year or 60,000 KM Limited Warranty
- Specially designed to fit the Toyota Tacoma 2005 and 2006 models
- Shock boots included with the price of purchase of shocks
- Improves speed and control on any terrain and surface
- Quality tested for durability and impact handling in lab and outback
- All necessary parts needed for installation are included
- Real-world durability not evaluated due to no customer reviews
- Reliability is in question due to no customer reviews
With all of these great options, it can make deciding on shocks a little bit easier. However, even with all the information given about these products, you may have some questions about shocks that you want answers to before paying money for a new product.
So, we have made a list of the most commonly asked questions about shocks and found answers, so that you can have all the information you need to make your final decision. So, here are the most frequently asked questions about shocks.
How long should shocks last in a vehicle?
There are many different factors that contribute to shocks lasting, so it can be difficult to say an exact length of time.
However, it is safe to say that a good pair of shock should be able to last you about 4 or 5 years without much issue. This also is an estimate that doesn’t include heavy use or impact of a collision while in use.
Should I pay to get an alignment after getting new shocks?
It is recommended to get an alignment after getting new shocks because a suspension piece was removed and replaced.
However, this is not always a necessity, but it can help keep the alignment straight and ensure that nothing was moved out of place while installing the shocks. It may also be a good idea to get the tires rotated and aligned as well, just for added assurance.
Do bad shocks affect the steering?
Overall, yes. Bad or worn out shocks are unable to do their job properly of keeping the tire in constant contact with the road’s surface.
How do I know if my shocks are bad?
There are a few major signs of shocks wearing out that will alert you to change them out.
The biggest sign that shocks are bad is feeling the vehicle bouncing. This will be the major sign that you need to replace your shocks, and you will feel it especially when going over bumps in the road, or driving over a pothole.
If you have been looking for new shocks for your Toyota Tacoma, then you now have some of the best options on the market so that you can make a quick decision about which shocks will work best for your truck.
With all the new information about our options list, you can easily find your top choice and get the shocks that you have been looking for.
However, even if you decide not to purchase one of the few options on this list, you also have lots of information about shocks that will allow you to do your own research to find a pair of shocks that will work for your Toyota Tacoma.
Whether you get the premium option for heavy use, or you opt for a cost-effective and budget-friendly option, you now have what you need to make your decision and make a final purchase for the best shocks for your truck.
- Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma Comparison Chart
- 3 Best Shocks For Towing Toyota Tacoma (as of October, 2020):
- Buyer’s Guide